Logo
                   
 

 Radevormwald is characterised by its small and medium-sized businesses, predominantly in the service industries. With regard to the rail connections to Cologne and Düsseldorf to the west and to transport connections generally the town is in a marginal position. This leaves scope for the exploitation of resources for leisure and the enjoyment of nature, and gives the town a relatively high quality of life.

Older historical buildings, as in many other places in the Bergischen country, have not survived. An exception is the historical garden house in the town park which survived the last big town fire in the year 1802.




Wappen



Geography:


Radevormwald is located about 50 km east of Cologne. At 421 metres above sea level, it was the highest-situated town in the administrative region of Düsseldorf; it is now in the administrative region of Cologne.


Origin of the name:

Radevormwald means "clearing in front of the wood". The town''s older name, Rotha, also means "clearing". The clearing, at an altitude of more than 400 metres, is thought to have been made to help defend against raiding Saxons in prehistoric times.


Places to go

the area are many different damsand reservoirs, among them: Wuppertal dam, Bevertal dam, Neyetal dam (Wipperfürth), Ennepe dam (Breckerfeld), Heilenbecker dam and Schevelinger dam.

 

  • Uelfebad, former outdoor swimming pool (an ice rink in winter, with suitable weather) and restaurant
  • Leisure resort Kräwinklerbrücke, which is also a starting point for footpaths around the Wuppertal dam.


Churches

Radevormwald has a distinctive skyline with four churches close together:

 

  • Protestant Reformed church (state church)
  • Protestant Lutheran church (state church)
  • Lutheran Church St. Martin (Independent Evangelical-Lutheran Church)
  • Roman Catholic church

Other churches are to be found in Remlingrade (Protestant Church), in Wallenberg (Protestant Church) and in Dahlerau (both a Protestant and a Catholic church).

Monuments


  • Historical rococo garden house in the town park. Built in 1772, at the time of the town fire in 1802 it stood in front of the town wall approximately 200 m to the west of the future railway station and is the oldest building in the town. Its location today is not the original one: it was transferred to the town park in an improvement scheme.
  • War Memorial at the Kollenberg
  • War Memorial in the Froweinpark (moved to its current location in 1998 from its earlier position in the former sports field Herbeck)
  • Commemorative cross for the victims of the 1971 train accident in the municipal cemetery Am Kreuz
  • Moonstone in the Froweinpark as a memorial to the places submerged by the Wuppertal dam
  • Commemorative tablet in the town hall for the victims of National Socialism
  • Monument on the north side of Schlossmacherplatz for the twin town Châteaubriant in France
  • Stone tablet to the entrepreneur and file manufacturer Frowein in the Froweinpark
  • Ground monument Bergisch-Märkische Landwehr. Approximately indicating the border with Ennepetal and Breckerfeld, it is also thought once to have been the border between Saxony and Franconia.


Mills

  • Hees Mill (aka Lowest Mill). Today the earlier mill is used by a food company. Remains of the milling equipment still exist.
  • Luhner Mill. No longer standing, it was in the immediate neighbourhood of the Leimholer Mill.
  • Leimholer Mill. On the Uelfe brook; it takes its name from the place Leimhol.
  • Lambecker Mill. About the mill itself nothing is known. The name Becke means a brook in Low German and is used in a large number of placenames in the region. The place Lambeck was mentioned in the year 1789 as Langenbeck (= long brook).
  • Neuenhammer. This mill was a hammer works on the Uelfe brook. Only the placename and some buildings now used for trout breeding remain.
  • Uppermost Mill. On the Uelfe brook. Today this affectionately-restored former mill is a food business.
  • Stooter Mill. This was a flour mill on the Bever. It was registered 1828 in the ancient land register and was also called Stötermühle. In 1902 the mill was demolished for construction of the old Bevertal dam.
  • Bird''s Mill. No longer standing. In the year 1804 Vogelsmühle, a fulling mill, stood here, the precursor of the cloth industry later to develop.
  • Wiebach Mill. The mill at the exit of the Wiebach valley was demolished 1956. Today the Wiebach dam, part of the Wuppertal dam system, floods the area.


Calendar of events

  • Since 1948 the Radevormwald Cultural Circle has arranged a yearly program of cultural events, including stage plays, musicals, cabaret and concerts. These events take place in the Radevormwald Town Hall.
  • The Radevormwalder Town Festival normally takes place on the first weekend in May.
  • The Radevormwalder Fair, featuring a shooting match and a home festival is a regular feature of the Radevormwalder calendar.
  • For some years a cycle race with well-known riders has taken place in summer in the downtown area.
  • In September the traditional plum fair takes place.
  • On the first weekend in October the cultural municipality organizes a traditional harvest festival in Önkfeld.

                                                                                                                                                 Source: Wikipedia